Peapods Going Out of Business Sale
For every thing, there is a season. And after 16 years, the season for Peapods is coming to an end. With gratitude in our hearts to our employees, customers, and suppliers who have sustained our family these many years, we're moving on to the next chapter in our lives.
The good news is that everything in our store is now 15% off. Toys, baby carriers, cloth diapers, books...everything must go. For now, this sale will only be in our store, not online. We'll also be adding fixtures and equipment as our sale progresses.
We know this will be sad news for many people, as it is for us. But, we hope that you will choose to celebrate with us the time we have spent together and the many experiences we have shared. This is a difficult time for us and the best way you can help us is to shop our sale and share it with your friends.
Also, we are renting our building for office or retail use, so please share if you know anyone who might be interested.
Why are we going out of business? For a few reasons. First, the marketplace has changed. Many of the brands we helped introduce to the Twin Cities are abandoning specialty stores like ours in favor of big boxes, Amazon.com, or direct sales to customers. This is especially true with cloth diapers and baby carriers, two areas that have defined our store and where we have invested the most in trained customer service. It's simply not sustainable for us to keep going while our revenue keeps declining.
Second, our mission has always been to promote attachment parenting and unplugged educational toys. When we started in 1998, babywearing, cloth diapering, and wood toys were fringe ideas. People used to stop us in the street to ask us what the heck our baby sling was. Seriously.
These products and ideas are now wholly mainstream. You can buy a decent baby carrier at Target or cloth diapers at Kohl's for goodness sake. In a sense, we've helped accomplish our mission, but that also means that we're far less relevant than we used to be. And while there are still many other aspects of modern childhood we'd like to change, Peapods as a store is not well positioned to address these issues.
Finally, we've changed as well. We are no longer the parents of babies and our kids are interested in lots of awesome teenager stuff that doesn't connect at all with Peapods. We're ready to move on, even if we're not sure where we're going.
Effective immediately, we are making the following changes:
- Everything in the store is now 15% off normal retail prices. We expect the discount to increase in the coming weeks, but we're sure the best stuff will move fast, so shop early & shop often.
- We are no longer able to accept returns.
- We will honor purchased Peapods gift certificates up until our final day, which we expect will be sometime in mid-July.
- We will no longer be able to accept any coupons.
- Our Rewards program is discontinued. We will honor unspent rewards credits for 1 week, until June 11th.
- We are no longer accepting checks.
- We are no longer setting up new gift registries or buying gently used cloth diapers.
- We will be contacting customers with existing newborn cloth diaper rental packages to make alternative arrangements.
- Our spring Music Together class will have its final session next Monday as originally scheduled.
- We will no longer be offering our free cloth diaper class.
Thank you again for many years of support. We feel honored to have served our community with quality products and personal service for so long.
Millie Adelsheim and Dan Marshall